How to Get More Omega-3 -- Flaxseed

Today we will be continuing with the Omega-3 series. If you didn't catch part 1, you can read it here. Today's big source of omega-3 is {Flaxseed}. This amazing wonder food has so many health benefits. Research still needs to be conducted in some areas, but Web MD says it is likely to reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes!

You can read more about these amazing benefits at the Web MD website.

Web MD tells us that each tablespoon of ground flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plants omega-3s. Combine all of these health benefits together, and you've got a super-food! So where do you buy it? How do you eat it? Just keep reading to find out.


Where To Buy Flaxseed

There are two ways to buy your flaxseed. You can buy it as the whole seed or already ground. I have heard that health food stores and farmer's markets usually sell the whole seeds. Those who buy the seeds whole often use a coffee grinder or food processor to grind them.

I buy my flaxseed in the ground form. Since I don't have a health food store in my area, I looked at my local Wal-Mart. We found our ground flaxseed at the end of the cereal aisle, with all of the organic cereals. It came in a decent sized golden pouch. I have also read that some people have found ground flaxseed in their baking aisle or with other organic foods.
My flaxseed is from Wild Roots, and is called 100% natural Milled Golden Flaxseed
This is what the ground powder looks like.

Because flaxseed contains natural oils, it should be stored in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent those oils from going rancid. We store ours in the refrigerator where we will see it and remember to use it frequently. So how do you use flaxseed? 

Eating Ground Flaxseed

Ground flaxseed has a slightly sweet, nutty flavor to it. It can be easily incorporated into many drinks and meals. Here are some of my favorite ways to use ground flaxseed:

  • Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed on top of one cup of yogurt. (granola topping optional)
  • Slowly add some flaxseed to your hot coffee, allowing it to somewhat dissolve into the drink.
  • Incorporate flaxseed into smoothies and protein shakes!
  • Mix 1 tablespoon into a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. 
  • Add ground flaxseed as a topping to any meal or mix into any drink!
The possibilities are endless when you start working with flaxseed. The most important thing is to use a little bit every day. That way you will get the maximum health benefits.  

If you are unable to find ground flaxseed, or adding the powder to your food isn't your cup of tea, there are other ways to get the perks of this powerhouse food.

Cereals

There are actually cereals that have flaxseed in them! I bought one from my grocery store, and it actually tastes delicious

This cereal was at the end of the cereal aisle in my grocery store, with other organic and healthy cereals. If you add nutritious blueberries on top of this breakfast booster you will be doing your body good with one meal.


Granola Bars

Another way you can get flaxseed into your diet is with granola bars. Kashi has a line of granola bars called TLC. Several of these bars have flaxseed in them. I bought the Pumpkin Spice Flax Crunchy Granola Bars. I love the depth of flavor in these bad boys. They fill me up when I am on the go, and I know that they have nutritious elements to them.




Review
Let's review! Flaxseed has numerous health benefits and is relatively inexpensive and easy to get your hands on. You can access it in whole seeds, ground, in cereals, and in granola bars. Just one tablespoon has 1.8 grams of omega-3. The other benefits are too awesome to pass up. Eating foods that benefit your body is hard. WRONG! After buying the ground flaxseed, the cereal, and the granola bars I find myself having at least one source of flaxseed available every day, and I don't have to get bored with the same thing all the time. Give flaxseed a try and see the amazing results!

Let me know how you plan to use flaxseed and if you find other sources that contain this little powerhouse.

No comments: