Beginning To Sew

Guess what lovely thing was dropped off on my doorstep the other day? This baby!


This, my friends, is the sewing machine of glory I finally selected to buy. The Brother CS-6000i. It is not too fancy, but it's far from boring. It's got lots of user friendly features, and it was on the top of multiple lists for best sewing machine of 2010. Normally this thing runs for around $500. I got it on Amazon for $160! Woo-Hoo! It has over 600 reviews and over 400 of them are 5 stars. I just couldn't wait to get it and try it out. Some of my favorite features:

  • 60 Stitch functions
  • Auto threading
  • Auto Set Drop In Bobbin
  • Foot Pedal or 1 touch start/stop button
  • Speed Control Slider
  • Double LED Lights
  • Electronic Display and Control
Yes, you read the above correctly, there is a start/stop button. You don't even have to use the foot pedal if you don't want to. You just set your speed, push a button and guide the material. The only time I see myself using the pedal is when I want my hands on the fabric 100% of the time. It takes a fraction of a second to push the button to stop.

I haven't sewn anything since I was in Home Economics in 8th grade. Since I knew I would be a bit rusty, I thought I should start with something simple. A pillowcase! Our dog, Riley, has his very own pillow next to our bed. He has a dog bed next to the door, but he also gets a pillow. A human pillow. So, I decided to make him his very own pillowcase so I can reunite the old one with the proper sheet set.

I went to Wal-Mart, picked out some cute fabric, found a pillowcase tutorial and got to work. I think it turned out rather cute!



I sewed an R into the corner so there's no confusion on who the pillow belongs to ;)

How cute is that fabric!

I finished it off with a cute decorative stitch.


Normally, our fluffy canine is quite the ham, but today when I tried to get him to lay on his pillow for a few photos..... NOT HAPPENING! So, you'll just have to use your imagination. That's it for today, but you can bet I'll be back with more awesome sewing projects soon!

Do you sew? What was your favorite project? Let me know in the comments below!

- - Happy Crafting! - -

No comments: