How to Make Decorative Pinwheels

After Easter decorations were put away, my blue flower pot sat lonely and empty on the shelf for months. I finally  added some fun, decorative pinwheels to it, and today I'm going to show you how I made them!


For this project you will need squares of paper. I used double sided scrapbook paper because I wanted a pattern or color on the inside and outside of my pinwheel.


You want to cut each corner at a diagonal toward the center. Use the template below as a guide. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just be sure you don't cut all the way to the middle.


Once all four corners are cut, add a drop of glue to the center. Fold one of the corners down to the center. Continue with the other corners.




You can attach your pinwheel in a variety of ways. I used bamboo skewers, although I have seen them done with pencils and popsicle sticks also. I cut my bamboo skewers to varying lengths.


You can glue your pinwheels to whatever post style you choose, but if you want them to spin, thumb-tacks offer a better solution. Just push the pin through the center of your pinwheel into the post. Just get it in far enough to be secure. If it's in too far, the pinwheel won't spin.


Now you're ready to decorate with them! Add them to a flower pot or spruce up a vase. You'll have so much fun making these whimsical summer funzies you will have some for every room.


- - Happy Crafting! - -

No comments: