Pretty Things in a Pretty Little Town

This morning I was perusing Pinterest, as usual, with my cup of orange chai tea, when I noticed this pretty little dress.

View it on Pinterest
What could possibly be wrong with something so insanely gorgeous? The fact that even if I had it in my possession right this very minute, I would have nowhere to wear it. It may be too fancy for most people's day to day wanderings, but here in this small town.... it's too fancy for ANYTHING!

I'm not sure what it is about this place. I don't know if it is small, rural towns in general or what is going on. Even the nicest place you can think to go here doesn't have people wearing dresses like that pretty thing. I dressed up once to attend a college play (the nicest theatre in a 50 mile radius!) and I seriously had people giving me the stink eye. Because I wore a nice black dress and heels.

I would like to see a little more enthusiasm about getting dressed up around here. I don't think we should look down on people who can't afford to be out on the town in fancy clothing, but we certainly shouldn't be making people who are primped up feel uncomfortable for wanting to have a little flair in their life. What happened to having that one nice dress that you pressed and steamed right before you slapped on your nylons and red lipstick and hit the town with your girls? What happened to having a little class?

Let's all agree to stop wearing our sweatpants to formal functions, stop glaring at the girl who actually thought about what she was wearing, and start having some good old fashioned fun with life. In a dress. Like this one.


- - Happy Thursday! - -

No comments: