DIY Spring Hair Barrettes

Springtime always leaves me feeling very feminine and girly with its abundance of floral patterns and sweet scents. I was in need of some cute girlish accessories for Spring and decided, why not make them myself? I gathered all the materials at Wal-Mart and set to work to create my little hair barrettes!


The first thing I did was gather my materials:
  • Buttons
  • Silver Hair Barrettes
  • Fabric
  • Batting
  • Hot Glue

I cut a small amount of batting and hot glued it around the button. I cut away any excess bulk. It doesn't need to be perfect, I just wanted to add a bit of puffiness to the shape of my button. I then selected the fabric I wanted to wrap my button in.

Once I selected my fabric, I cut a small piece off the end of the fabric strip to wrap around my button. I started by pulling the corners into the center and hot gluing them in place. Then, I just twisted any remaining corners onto the back of the button and secured them. I cut away any excess fabric once all the ends were secure.

With the second button, I decided to try a circle piece of fabric to see if it helped with some of the bulkiness I was running into with the square piece.


This really helped the fabric wrap around the button in a cleaner fashion. Be careful not to cut your circle too small though!

Look how cute they were turning out! I really had no rhyme or reason to the way I folded the fabric, but they turned out looking like little oyster crackers I put in my soup when I was little.


I continued this process with two more buttons. When I was finished covering them, I simply attached them to the silver barrette clips with hot glue.

I think they turned out pretty cute! I can't wait to wear them in my hair with a fun Spring dress.

What are your favorite Springtime accessories? Let me know in the comments below! :)

- - Happy Crafting! - -


Tip Junkie handmade projects

No comments: